We've been living and working in Morzine for a long time now and we really do know the local area and the local people very well. We've therefore created a list of recommendations that will hopefully help you to plan your holiday. If at any time you need any further help, please e-mail email@example.com
Local Events and Resort Information
Morzine Source Magazine is a resort magazine with interesting features, articles and interviews with local people. It also includes a full resort events calender for each month so you can see what is happening in Morzine during your holiday before you get here!
Ski-Alp is a local French ski hire shop just a short walk from all Chilly Powder chalets here in Prodains. We have negiotiated a 10% discount for all of our guests.
Doorstepskis is a British owned ski and snowboard hire shop in Morzine that operates an online booking, equipment drop off and fitting service and then a collection service at the end of your holiday. Chilly Powder guests receive a 20-30% discount depending on when they book their holiday.
All Mountain Rental is another British woned ski and snowboard hire shop in Morzine that operates the same service as Doorstepskis. Again Chilly Powder guests get a 10% discount when they book online.
Ski & Snowboard Lessons
Village des Enfants - Chilly Powder Ski School lessons are co-ordinated by Amie for children staying with Chilly Powder. However, children under the age of 4 cannot join these lessons. We therefore recommend the brilliantly organised Village des Enfants in Avoriaz.
ESF - If your children don't take part in our private lessons you can use the ESF 'Cours Collectif' lessons, although group sizes do tend to be quite large during school holidays and an English speaking instructor cannot be guaranteed.
British Avoriaz Alpine Ski School - Recommended for both private and group adult lessons, the British Avoriaz Alpine Ski School have excellent ski and snowboard instructors who visit Chilly Powder chalets each week to discuss snow conditions and ski techniques with our guests.
Mint Snowboard School - Specialising in snowboarding with very professional instructors for both children and adults in both group lessons and private lessons.
Freedom2Ski - Offering personal ski coaching around the Portes du Soleil and grouped ski lessons, Freedom2Ski also offer ski guiding and off-piste groups for the more adverturous skier!
Restaurants for Dinner in Morzine
– L’Etale: Close to the Pleney lift, l’Etale is popular with those wanting to dine a little earlier. It has a lively atmosphere and is good for both families and groups. They offer a wide variety of dishes including local specialties such as fondue, raclette and hot stone cooked dishes. They're open every day from the beginning of December until end of April from 11 am to midnight.+33 (0)4 50 79 09 29
– La Rotonde: Owned and run by the owners of l’Etale, they are most well known for their pizza menu but also serve a selection of pastas, risottos and typical Alpine dishes such as fondue and charcuterie. The menu is varied and they have a great wine list to go with it. They are open everyday in the winter from 11.30-15.00 for lunch and 18.00-23.00 for dinner. +33 (0)4 50 79 16 30
– Le Clin d’Oeil: Has a strong reputation for good, traditional cooking influenced by the cuisine from the South-West of France. They also serve all the Savoyard classics such as cheese fondue and tartiflette, as well as more contemporary dishes like crayfish risotto, roast rack of lamb, BBQ spare ribs, stuffed peppers and more. A cosy, friendly atmosphere with great service. Open daily throughout the summer and winter seasons for lunch and dinner. +33 (0)4 50 79 03 10
– La Chaudanne: Well known for it’s chic wine bar and lively atmosphere. La Chaudanne's warm and welcoming interior are often enough to tempt people that little further out of Morzine. +33 (0)4 50 79 12 68
– La Grange Restaurant: Hidden down a little back road close to tourist office in the center of Morzine. The restaurant has traditional mountain decor in old wood and barn style equipment around the walls. The menu is local Savoyarde with tasty alternatives to appease kids and fussy eaters. You've even got veggie options, which is rare for the carnivore nation that is France! They're open from 12 - 2pm (in July and August) and from 7pm each evening (winter and summer). +33 (0)4 50 75 96 40
– Les Dez Alps: Decorated in a traditional yet modern Savoyard style, this restaurant and brasserie in the heart of Morzine has great views from the picture windows at the back all the way up to Avoriaz on a clear day. They're open for lunch and dinner, and serve up a mix of traditional Savoyard and French cuisine, with delicious desserts like pancakes and brownies. +33 (0)6 72 86 29 86
– Le Grillon: Serves typical Savoyard cuisine in a warm and welcoming restaurant with wooden beams, an open fireplace and a terrace. It is a good place for larger groups with its long tables and reasonable prices. You can try all the popular local dishes like Pierrade (a hot stone to cook your own meats), Raclette (where you melt cheese on a small burner) & Fondue (a skiers favourite cheese fest). Open daily in the winter season for lunch and dinner from noon until 22:30. +33 (0)4 50 79 09 41
– Verdoyant: Situated on the banks of the Lac de Montriond, serving local French/Savoyard cuisine. A lovely view from the terrace on the lake. Open from late December to late-September. Open for lunch and dinner +33 (0)4 50 79 21 96
– The Bec Jaune Brewery: The Bec Jaune is a micro Brewery, brewing new and old beers, styles ranging from IPA’s to malty English Ales. As well as a tasty beer they also offer some tasty food to go with it. They source as much as possible from local suppliers with simple menus catering for meat eaters and vegetarians. Expect everything from a pulled pork bun (with homemade slaw, pickles and chilli sauce) to a vegan superfood burger to local trout gravadlax, to cassoulet au saucisson. Watch out for their quizzes and other events that take place throughout the year. Open until 1pm each night. +33 (0)9 62 09 29 63
– Mamma's: The first choice for massive portions of fish & chips, noodles, pasta, burgers and pizzas. Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere make it a good place to call in for casual dining. Regular curry nights, BBQs and other special offers. Open daily from 4-10pm, eat in or takeaway +33 (0)4 50 74 31 62
Restaurants for Lunch on the Piste
Vaffieux: This is a small altitude restaurant conveniently located in a peaceful setting at the top of Pléney at the end of the Belvedere chairlift. It has a large terrace which gets the sunshine all day. They have a huge selection of original dishes cooked with fresh local products and everything is home made. It also has pedestrian access.
+33 (0)4 50 79 09 43
Chez Nannon: Located on the mountain of Nyon at an altitude of 1450m, serving traditional and French cuisine. Open from December to April, from 11 am until lifts close. +33(0)4 50 79 21 15
Exclusif: Beautiful restaurant located round the back of Mont Chery, with breathtaking panoramic views of the mountains. Food is typical savoyards cuisine but is delicious and is served beautifully. Only assessable by foot (but only a short walk from the Mont Chery Car park) and call 1st to check if open, as will close if it is bad weather. +33 (0)7 78 37 87 69
Mamo's Cafe Lindarets: Surrounded by beautiful mountains, based in the Lindarets bowl of Avoriaz and Portes des Soleil. A great place to stop for a bite to eat when Skiing. +33 (0)4 50 74 20 68
Le Lodge Restaurant: Save this one for a sunny day when you can sit out on the terrace and enjoy some grilled meat straight from the BBQ.As well as the BBQ there is also a daily special "plat du jour", Prices are reasonable for such good quality food, with the dish of the day normally costing around 14€. Open daily throughout the winter season for lunch and drinks. +33 4 50 37 55 41